Best Approach to Form Date

• 24 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I apologize if this is a newbie question, but such is life.

Scenario: SharePoint2016

A developer completes/submits a form for a project review. The form contains a 'requested launch date' that must be at least 7 days from the current date. This is handled easily with rules/functions.

The form is then picked up by a 'reviewer' who begins a review of the project. The review can take several days, and the reviewer will need to edit the form to update a 'review status' field and other details. All of this is communicated by sending notifications using a workflow.

The issue is when a reviewer edits the form during the review cycle and gets within the 7 day window. The form cannot be saved due to the current validation. The date was fine initially, but the review can, and often will take several days to complete. The rule on the date control will always be triggered.

Best approach to capturing request date, making sure it's at least currentDate+7, then comparing it to the submit date?

Thanks!

3 replies

Badge +3

Hi @aldentay ,

You could bypass the rules to trigger the validation only during the submission of new items or extend the rules to skip the validation if the status is 'under review'

Badge +17

@aldentay  what @Jekaterina suggested was really good.

Another thought would be to only have the rule trigger when the form is in "new mode" so it would be a combo rule that checks for "is new mode" and then whatever else you already have. 

Secondly, if the user is editing the data for the status via workflow task forms, they should not need to open the original form to edit anything. The information/status from the task form, can be used to update the underlying SharePoint list which affects the overall item, no need for going to the edit form.

Hope these help and please mark the correct solution.

Badge +1

Both ideas led me to the ideal solution. I did wind up using the 'is new mode'. Works well.

Thank you!