Set field value when list item creator has read permission

Badge +2

Hello Experts,

I have business requirement for travel request approval.

User submit travel request it will go to his manager for approval. if he approve it will go to next approver.

in case of rejection at any level it will end the workflow. 

we have to manage the permission in between the entire workflow cycle.

requester (user) once submit the list item should have read access to the list item and the next approver should have contribute right to approve the request.

as approve or reject happen i am setting a value to field to know the workflow status, however since requester has read permission it giving error

"The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information.”"

so in this case what should be approach to update field for the current item.

we dont have permission to create any service account and adding or removing permission again would be cumbersome as this will be at multiple places

i have attached screenshot for the same.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

You can let run specific actions with workflow owner credentials. Workflow owner is the user that published the workflow version, so it's basically you. Assuming that you have high privileges even if the workflow initiator now has only read permission, you can open the options of your update item action and open the common tab. There you'll find the option Run as workflow owner.

205088_pastedImage_2.png

If you switch on run as workflow owner you will note a shield icon on the item update action as soon as you close the dialog. You could also add an action set to your workflow, set the same option to it and put actions inside the action set. All actions inside the action set will now be executed with your credentials instead the credentials of the workflow initiator.

Please keep in mind that you only have this option if the action set is part of the main flow, means it shouldn't be nested in any other actions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +2

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for the help.

Badge +3

Hello,

I need to set item read-only after submit to prevent anyone to edit the submitted item.  But after it is read-only can the column value be set b following actions?  can the item be approved by manager?

Badge +3

Hello Erico,

I have the exact same issue. Your solution seems to be the right one. Just wanted to know how to make an Action Set? so that I do not have to do the setting under commons for all actions.

Badge +3

Another question -  I have assign flexi task action which branch out actions that will set field value, but those actions under branches of Assign Flexi Task does not have option under Commons to run by workflow owner. Neither Assign Flexi Task action has this option under Commons.

How do I handle this situation?

Thanks for any tips!

Badge +3

I found Action Set in Logic and Flow, so never mind

Badge +3

I put all actions inside Action Set and it works!