Display task related item's ID on My Workflow Tasks web part

• 10 March 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +7

Hello Team,

I added Nintex workflows 2013 web-part named My Workflow Tasks. It is displaying the title of the item for which the task is related to. But in my environment users mostly use the ID for business process. Can you please guide me the options in which I can pull the item ID (this is the task related item ID not task ID).

My thought on this is writing a JavaScript to pull the data. But I would like to know if we have any simpler approaches than writing lines of code. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Soni

8 replies

Badge +16

Hi

Can i suggest you create the desired view in the Workflow Tasks list itself, then use the normal apps web parts to display the outstanding tasks with the task related item ID in it?

Thanks

Badge +7

Hello Cassy,

Thank you for taking your time in helping me with this. I can't see item related ID on workflow tasks list. Only related column is Title of the item, but that is also not a lookup filed. So any idea how I can pull the ID of the item here?

Badge +16

OK so the Related Content in the workflow tasks list is the title field from your list right?  I thought it was the ID - there is a column in there called "related items" but doesn't look like it holds any data (on my test anyway).  what you could do which we do in our organisation, is to have the workflow task name have data from the item itself.  for example, our format for workflow task title is:

Aprroval tasks for [ID] [Title] - that was our workflow tasks will have meaning before being viewed.

I know it's not quite what you wanted.

alternatively, you could use a lightening conductor web part to join your list to your workflow task list maybe?

Badge +7

Than You Cassy,

I too did observe that Related Content column is holding the Item URL, we can make it using Nintex Workflow to get only part after the ?ID=1 , can use some string operations to get only return 1 as a result.

But I found in while working on Nintex workflow that there is a column (which might be hidden from List columns page) named Workflow Item ID which is holing of related Item ID. with this I can fulfil my requirement.

Thank You once again for your help on this happy.png

Badge +16

Awesome find - good to know!  I will bookmark this before I forget how to achieve it!

Thanks happy.png

Badge +2

2 years later this really helped me out. Thanks! happy.png

Badge

Hi Sony or Ross, can you please help me find the Workflow Item ID column. I do not have any column named that, but need it. I have a list of items that i would like to relate to a list of tasks for those items via the parent list's item IDs. I can only use Related Content, which only has the title. I need the ID, but cannot find a column titled Workflow Item ID like you have mentioned.

Badge +2

Hi Ethan, it's a hidden column called Workflow Item ID with an internal name of WorkflowItemID. I don't know if exposing it to be used in views in advised and that would take some under the hood work. But you can get to it using a workflow on a task list item by setting a variable to that value and then just write it back to a column that you have created.