run site workflow from a button on the home page

• 22 January 2017
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I have a site workflow which users can want to start on an adhoc basis, where the user is not necessarily a site administrator.

At present, to run the workflow a user takes actions cog, site contents, site workflows, click on the workflow name, and start it, which is pretty horrible as far as user interface design goes!

I would like to be able to place a button on the home page which, when pressed, runs the workflow.

is this possible?

We have Nintex workflow 2013 version 3.1.17.10 running on a SharePoint 2013 Enterprise server

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Frank,

easiest way would be to navigate to the workflow start form and copy the link there. You can place a content editor web part on your start page and place your link there. If needed give it some css to let it look like a button. Alternatively you can also add that html directly to your site.

<a href="[YOUR WORKFLOW URL GOES HERE]">Start XY-Workflow</a>

Using this approach your users will only have to hit "Start" once to start the workflow.

If you really need to start the workflow directly from your homepage it will be more difficult as you need some development skills. You can either run the workflow via c# server code or start it via CSOM or through web services. I'd prefer CSOM.

Vardhaman Deshpande: Managing SharePoint 2013 Workflows with CSOM 

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +5

Enrico, an alternative to adding this via CSS or HTML would be to use the Promoted Links list. This lets you assign a URL, as described above, but place it behind an informative image/text. In addition, if you able to publish the workflow without using the start form (it depends on the content of the workflow), you can bypass the workflow start form as well.

Good luck,

Gerard