wdupless
Nintex Newbie

Re: How do I capture the Workflow Task ID

Jump to solution

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just a heads up!

Be careful when designing workflows in an  "Parallel Control" there are places that it is required and works.

However when assigning a task / approval to the one side of the parallel task it can/may cause the workflow to go into an locked state.. Then requiring you to run an PowerShell command to release it and manual interaction get it to flow again..

This happened when I migrated from Nintex 2013 to Nintex 2016. So if you are planning to migrate to a new nintex version it is possible that you will experience the same issue.

It has come to my attention that Nintex 2013 is much more forgiving in poor nintex workflow designs than Nintex 2016.

This happen to me and spent a whole 2 weeks resolving workflows with parallel controls.

I would recommend that if you need the task to be completed for the parallel action to take place rather build you separate workflows that use the IF control.

If you are not sure how to do this I am willing to assist you.

PS - Not sure if you know but the Flexi task has an "Reminder  Control" Built into it. I would recommend you should try using that before you move over to the parallel control.

Kind Regards

emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

interesting finding...

have you identified what caused the lock?

have you had scenario like depicted above with single task, or have you had a task in several/each parallel branch?

did this happened (just) for workflows that were running over transition period, or did this happened for new workflow instances on 2016?

0 Kudos
wdupless
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

It was pretty much exactly the way you created yours above.
However my lock occurred with the "Approval Control".  See Demo Image below...

When I removed the parallel control and implemented the "Flexi Task Control" this resolved all Workflow locks.

I would not recommend the above implementation. However I like to create multiple workflows for each specific task I would like carried out. Then use the "Start workflow Control" and initiate it when I need it to start.  

wdupless
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Oh and this happened to all transition and new workflows that was running.

davidjohnson500
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

The reminder controls though get sent out to the assignees which I am trying to avoid.  I need reminders to go to a Shared Mailbox.  Thus I turnred off emails within Flexi Task and used Marian H's method via parallel.

0 Kudos
adi_kulk
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

@emha Thank you for this brilliant solution. I have the same requirement as mentioned by @davidjohnson500 

I created a test workflow by following the steps you posted. For some reason, I am not able to retrieve the Workflow Task ID in the 'Query list' action. I have an integer variable in which I am storing this ID, but it defaults to 0. Everything else works fine. Could you please help me this? Thanks in advanced!

0 Kudos
AltynbekSatuov
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

You can get Task ID by Query List:

Query "get the last task (first ordered task) by Workflow Instance ID".

0 Kudos