Failed to start workflow. The workflow cannot access the item that it has been applied to.

• 8 March 2022
  • 2 replies

We suddenly got an error in some users while using Nintex Workflow. The workflow is not modified since 2019 so I think this is not a logic error.

Error Message "Failed to start workflow. The workflow cannot access the item that it has been applied to."

Based on my research and read through out the forum, this is possible a permission issue. But when I check the users with Error Occurred versus users with Completed workflow.

Completed and Error users has the same permissions (Verified using 'Check Permission' functionality of Sharepoint).

Any suggestions or idea what causing the issue? Thank you.

2 replies

We're having the similar issue in our environment, a simple workflow that grants permissions, pauses for 7 days, and removes permissions. We get about 500~ submissions a day and maybe 1 or 2 specific user's 5-10 submissions will all fail for that morning, but previous and next day's submissions from that user will not error, but another user or two might. We've had a ticket open since December and still have not received a reply post-providing logs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +20

@cecilia-penha Would you please see if you could assist here?