tulip
Scholar

Error when copying item

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am using SharePoint 2010.

I have a document library (Master).  I have used that document library as a template to create a second library (Group)

I have created a manually started list workflow (in Master) which should (I think) copy the current item to the Group Library.

At the moment I am getting the error  "The workflow could not copy the item.  Make sure the source and destination lists have the same columns and column settings."

These are standard libraries  - one created from the other - so they have the same columns and settings.

They both have versioning switched on.

Other than Nintex we don't have any addins in SharePoint

Does anyone have any ideas ?  I am using the latest release of Nintex available for 2010.

Thank you

Catharine

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Error when copying item

Jump to solution

Have you tried using a common content type that has the same fields?

0 Kudos
tulip
Scholar

Jump to solution

Is this because the current item is updated with new values before trying to copy ? 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I'm not sure.  I just know from my experience that if you want to ensure that two items are exactly the same, you should create site columns, add them to a content type, then use that content type on two lists.  Then make sure the source item and destination item will be of the this same content type

0 Kudos
tulip
Scholar

Jump to solution

The document libraries were identical other than the name - the second was created from a template of the first.  The columns in each library came from the content hub content types.

I believe I have fixed it - I needed to do a commit changes before trying to copy the item.  - I wish the error message had been more "correct"  it wouldn't have taken all day to work it out!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am facing the same issue,. What exactly do you mean by "do a commit change". I did try adding a commit pending changes action before copy item but it did not work for me. My source and destination list have same content type on them under which the items are created.

0 Kudos