Guidance Needed | duplicating an item with changes added

• 31 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hey Team,

I've bashed my head for over a week with this and finally submitting to the Nintex gods.

I'm a very novice user of Nintex.  I'm enjoying the potential but I'm very lost

Objective

Use a SharePoint list to capture user details and also any changes to the user's details.

The final result will then be imported to a database to join different datasets together.

Rules I'm struggling to implement

When a change occurs, make a copy of the item leaving historical changes and showing the new changes.

The validFrom and ValidTo columns should adjust based on the adjustments

Below is the vision of the end result.  

How I envision the use, when editing an item/employee, the end-user will make the change to the employee (switch role as an example) and choose when this change will take effect. 

The workflow should then adjust the historical copy Valid from (date of start) to date of this change) and then save the new changes.

I hope it makes sense,  I've tried several ways of doing this via workflows and also use the nintex form validation to try and implement changes.

Could someone kindly outline any advice on how to proceed with this?

SP is 2013 On-premise

First Name Last Name LOB Language Role user1 email user2 Training Start Production Start Leaver Date ValidFrom ValidTo
Agent One Sales EN Agent agent.one agent.one@companymail.com aone 01/12/2018 07/12/2018   01/12/2018 02/02/2019
Agent One Tech Support RU Agent agent.one agent.one@companymail.com aone 01/12/2018 07/12/2018   03/02/2019  

3 replies

Badge +12

@macpaulos .....Can't you use versioning option in the list? Could you please explain your requirement with more details?

Badge +1

@kunalpatel - Thank you for taking the time to reply. I may have missed the trick to use Versioning properly here.  I would need someone like yourself for guidance.  I might be looking at this all in the wrong way.

Process outline

Use the SP list via Nintex forms to add new users as they're recruited.

The ValidFrom Column will have the date of start

ValidTo Column should be 31/12/2099 (preset date from IT)

If there is a change to roll/skill etc, I would like a new line item added showing the following:

The Reflected Change of X (skill, language, user, name etc)

ValidFrom Column to be adjusted with the date the change should commence (When the role officially starts as an example)

I would like to retain all details prior to the change except the ValidTo column.  This should change from 31/12/2099 to the day before the change (last day of existing role/skill/maiden name etc).

If it still is not making sense please let me know, I'll try again :).  Thanks again

Badge +12

@macpaulos ....If you enable versioning, then it will create different versions and when you see version histories, it will show only those columns where the changes were made. But if you don't want to use it then try:

Quick question....if there is a change then: 

• Are you creating a new item in the same list? or
  • Are you trying to update the existing item?

Below approach will work if you're updating the item:

If your user is going to put a valid to date when an item is created then you can put a formatting rule on valid to date control and see if it's not new mode then disable the control.

Do you also have Nintex workflows? If so then you can create a workflow which will:

1. Trigger when an item is created and conditionally when item is modified (condition will be previous valid from date is not equal to valid from date)
  2. Put a condition, and check if created = modified
    1. If it's same then set ValidToDate as 31/12/2099 (which by the way doesn't make any sense !!! LOL)
    2. If it's not the same then it means valid from date has been change
      1. Do the date calculation and use current item's valid from date and put "-1" in the days field and store it in a date variable
      2. Using either Set Field or Update Item action, change valid to date using above date variable