Is anyone planning or tried to run K2 SQL Server on Intel X-25E SSD?

• 23 March 2009
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +13
Just wondering if you are seeing much improvements.

3 replies

Badge +10

I bought an SSD drive to run some of my VPC's on.

Here is what I bought

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3956991&CatId=2503

So I wanted to test out how much faster SSD really is...

so I copied over my 1.6Training VPC and started timing it on the SSD drive and on a regular SATA 7200RPM drive.  Here is what I found

Task

Time with 7200

Time with SSD

Boot up

2:40

2:12

Logging in with Warm up

4:00

3:06

Launching VS

:34

:30

Opening IE with Workspace and Portal

:16

:05

Switching to MGT view in WS

:05

:03

I also ran some bench marks.  I got some really good throughput numbers 74.6MB/s Write and 88.9MB/s Read for the SSD drive as compared to 48.1 and 48.4MB/s respectively.  I tried a few different configurations with a external SATA-USB conversion case, but did not get the same speed as I got by just putting the drive in my PC and running it off the onboard SATA controller.  But If your laptop has SATA, I would recommend investigating using a drive bay and putting something like this in that. I have a drive bay in my T61 which I have a 7200RPM drive instead of a DVD drive. Just by using this as a dedicated drive for my VPC’s I have noticed better performance as it does not have to compete with the OS and page file etc.  Plus its 7200RPM as opposed to the 5400RPM base drive.

Badge +13

X-25M MLC performs well in read.

X-25E SLC performs the best (read/write).  (250mb/s read, 170mb/s write)

How much memory did you allocate to the VPC?

Badge +10
1.5GB