Exporting a list to my computer

• 2 August 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +8

Hello...

I have read a few articles on this but looking for a easier way. I also have not seen to where you can export directly to a drive location. I am trying to create a workflow that will run on the first of the month and archive the prior months data to a computer drive. This is not for me so I am trying to set this up for another line of business. Thanks in advance!

Cassy Freeman

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

this might have helped you Nintex Workflow - List to CSV UDA - Vadim Tabakman

Badge +16

Can't say I have ever tried it Josh Shutts​ or had a need to.  How did you get on with Marian Hatala​'s suggestion?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Can I ask why you would want to archive off list data like this? You'll end up with a collection of CSV files. Would it not be be better to archive these off into a SQL database or something similar. This makes it lighter on storage, more accessible for reporting and probably would please your infrastructure guys more from a DR point of view.

Badge +8

I have read this article Cassy. I was hoping there was something a little easier. I will admit, when I read it, I got intimidated and have not tried it. Maybe I will today.

Badge +8

Hey Ryan. I agree with you that it would be better to download to a table of some kind. I am doing this for a group that is pretty computer illiterate, even more than myself. My ideal solution would be to allow them to export (auto) to n excel sheet and save it to their hard drive or shared drive. It's a big file and trying to save space and backup historical data for them. Hoping there was an easier way, other than involving our IT group to implement a tool.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I believe an option you could go for which would avoid IT would be Access. No workflow involved, just creating a data connection in Access that syncs with SharePoint. If you are talking "large" data, then database format is preferable to excel (although that argument is less resilient nowadays).

I can't think of any other alternatives to Vadim's solution for CSV

Badge +2

Can someone please help me understand the UDA created in Vadim's solution.This is the only solution i find every discussion thread for exporting sp list to excel.can someone please help

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Vadim explains it quite well on his page.

what's exactly not clear for you?

Badge +2

hi Maria,

Thanks for the response.I managed to implement it after having a careful watch.

I got 2 problem now.

One is I want to schedule this workflow on a list based on some filtering.For instance get all those records for which the value of status column is "active".

The other issue is when I schedule this workflow I don't see the generated Output CSV being override during the successive runs.

Can someone please help me how to achieve this.