Start sharepoint 2010 workflow?

• 29 September 2015
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

I have need to start a SharePoint 2010 workflow from within a workflow on the same list.

Example:

Nintex Workflow X starts, and at some point starts a SharePoint 2010 Workflow Y.

This is easy to do from within a SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow (there is an action called "Start a List Workflow") (see screenshots below).

It has 3 things that you need to configure. 1. Pick the workflow. 2. set the initiation params of that workflow if any and 3. choose an item to run it on. Note: I need to pass variables to the 2010 workflow (hence the need to define the parameters).

I need to do this from within a Nintex wofklow however. I cannot figure out how. I will mention a few things below the screenshots about what I've already tried.

123798_pastedImage_0.png

123799_pastedImage_11.png

Ok. I've tried the: "Start Workflow" action. But that has nowhere to put the initiation parameters.
I've also researched the "Call Web Service" action, but as far as I can tell, this is not available for Nintex Office 365. There is a Call Http web service, but the fields in that do not include the "start list workflow" option that the Call web service supposedly has (according to documentation at least).

Please advise! Thank you.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

I know it's been a while and maybe you have found your solution...

I tried to google for REST/ SOAP web services calls to trigger SharePoint Workflow but... as for 2013 there are some hints (like: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sridhara/2014/08/21/fix-sharepoint-2013-workflow-recursion-prevention-part-2/, from "The problem"), but for 2010 is nothing.

But maybe you could alter your SP2010 workflow to start when item is created (or modified) so together with the Nintex Workflow, but then use the "Wait for Field Change in Current Item" action in your SP201 workflow? So that it will pause until Nintex Workflow updates a particular field in your item?

Regards,

Tomasz