Approval request depending on product category - - > conditions?

• 1 February 2018
  • 3 replies

I want to create an approval workflow for promotional activities.

My company has 4 product categories and 4 category managers, each of them is responsible for one product category.

If an employee requests a promotion, the category manager(s) have to approve the promotion if their/ his product category is concerned. I have already created an additional list which lists the category product and the responsible category manager. You can see the form in the picture to understand the approval request.

There are 4 options:

1 product category - approval of 1 category manager is needed

2 product categories - approval of 2 category managers is needed

3 product categories - approval of 3 category managers is needed

4 product categories - approval of 4 category managers is needed

If only one category is chosen, the workflow will not be a problem. I would have used a simple "set a condition", which than looks up the category manager's email to send the approval request. But I do not know how to create a workflow, which will request the approval of other category managers, if more than one category is chosen in the form.

Do you have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance :-)

3 replies

Badge +9

Hi Lynn,

Your workflow could look something like:

• For each selected category, do a list lookup to the category/managers list to get the manager for that category
    • Add each person to a collection variable of Person type
  • Create a Start a Task Process action, and use your collection variable as the assignee's (make sure to coerce it correctly using the fx button, you want to use the collection as a separated list of usernames or email addresses).
  • The Start a Task Process will by default create each person a task to complete
  • You can decide on the required outcome, if one person approves is that OK, or does everyone need to approve. The action will allow you to choose some different options here:

Let me know if this helps.

Callum

Hi Callum,

thank you very much for your answer! I tried to implement your idea - can you please check if that is right? :-)

1. Category Manager (CM) list

2. Category Manager query list / Category manager variables

3. Approval task (I could not find the action you used .. unfortunately!)

4. task notification - which edit settings do I use? Must I use the variable?

Thanks in advance for an answer.. have a nice weekend!

Best

Lynn

Hi Callum,

I tried another approach; which one is better?

And does this actions make it possible that 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 category managers are chosen to approve the promotion depending on the product category? Thanks in advance for a brief feedback!

1. set variable 

2. request approval