Solved

Prevent updates to calculated fields?

• 1 September 2016
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have a scenario where I need to completely lock a form when it gets to a particular status.  I have lots of calculated fields.

What I need to plan for is if something changes for how those fields are calculated in the future.  Forms that have been locked will not update based on new calculations, but will stick to the old calculations.

My initial thought has been to just create a new version of the form with content types.  Seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be though.

New Content Type 2017 (with Nintex Form 3)

Old: Content Type 2016 (with Nintex Form 2)

Old: Content Type 2015 (with Nintex Form 1)

As a new form is created, then i simply change the "default" content type of the list.

Anyone have any better thoughts/suggestions?

icon

Best answer by xMikeX 3 September 2016, 03:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

That's actually a pretty interesting scenario, because you are saying that the calculations themselves can change, so its not enough to just stop someone from editing the form.    

You are correct in that you could create a new form/content type.    However, I'll throw out another idea:

Utilize two different lists (and two different forms).

The one on the front end will contain your calculations and can be changed whenever needed.   Have a workflow that runs off the first form and essentially copies the values from the first list into the second list.    The second list will be your storage area and will not ever change.   The second list will merely be that of the original items stored in a pristine state that you can view whenever needed.  I would use simple text boxes instead of calculated fields to display the data on the second form / list, this way the values are merely captured at the moment of their creation.     This allows you to modify the front facing form/list calculations whenever desired.

Thanks,

Mike 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

That's perfect!  And simpler than I probably would have taken it.   2 forms rather than 4, 5, 6, etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I agree it is much simpler to implement as well as protect the original data.   Please mark as correct if you accept this as your solution and glad to have helped.