Conditional start when a specific item field is modified for the second time

• 21 September 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello guys

I have a workflow that I need to start using conditional start when a  field in the  Item is modified or full for the second time.

I want it to start when it's full for the second time. Means. When it is filled for the first time it should not start. I tried to empty the column when it is full for the first time, but the workflow starts from the first fill

I cannot use the wait action in anyway

Any suggestion guys? Thank you

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I haven't tried this, but I guess you would need to add a counter to your form.

1. Add an integer field and you can hide it. You might name it "[field name] Filled Count"

2. Then add a rule to the field you need to measure when it is filled for the second time.

1. If [Field Name] is filled then set the value of [field name] Filled Count

2. When setting the value, use a the following formula:

• sum([Form].[field name Filled Count] + 1)

3. You should then be able to use the [field name] Filled Count in your start rule to start when [field name] Field Count = 2.

4. I did a short test of the rule logic and I was seeing a weird behavior. Each time the field was filled, it populated the [field name] Filled Count by 100. So the second time it was filled it returned 200, the third time 300, etc. If you get the same behavior, you can start the workflow if it equals 200.

Post a reply if you try this and you get it to increment by 1 instead of 100.