cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Box.com connection - Move a file

Jump to solution

Is there a way to append a file with (2) if a file with the same name already exists? Currently, the 'Move a File' connection for Box.com errors out if a file with the same name exists and the entire workflow ends. 

THANKS!

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Box.com connection - Move a file

Jump to solution

@poppy Currently this is not possible, you could have it overwrite but that is really only the current option. You can suggest functionality over on our uservoice(https://nintex.uservoice.com/) 

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Well... there actually -is- a solution, but its tedious and takes a lot of actions.  I'm currently doing this for all Box movement functions within my workflows, and have made a component workflow just for box file movement.  

1) Store the filename as a variable (will will be disecting this later)

2) Set a variable to track how many times you've been through the loop

3) Use "Box - Get Folder Contents" to store a collection of all objects in the target folder. 

4) Begin a loop that will exit once a unique filename has been determined

5) Use "Check if item exists in a collection" to determine if the intended filename is already in the target folder (from step 3)

6) Use "Logic and flow - Branch by condition" to have a separate path for an OK filename vs. a conflicting filename

7) on the OK file name path, simply move the file and exit the loop

8) on the conflicting filename path, break apart the filename into 2 separate variables using Regex.  The base filename should be a regex of \.[^.\\/:*?"<>|\r\n]+$  The file extension should be a regex of [^.]+$

9) create a new filename by adding the filename & "_" & the LoopCounter & the filenameExtension. 

10) end the loop

By modifying the filename in step 9, the next time the loop completes the filename will now be named "mytextfile_1.txt" after the first loop if there is already a "mytextfile.txt" in the folder.  It will repeat the loop until a conflict is not present.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

@Ken_T  Thank you for taking the time to explain your solution. I was able to built it out and will be able to use it! Thanks so much again. 

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution
Thanks, Im glad it will help you out!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

For anyone that is using a solution similar to what I described above; please be aware that Nintex currently only supports searching through 200 entries in a folder.  if you have more than 200 items (files + subfolders) then the Nintex connector will act as if there are only 200.   This can lead to errors where the WF doesn't realize there is a duplicate file name, but the duplicate is past the Box API's pagination value (200). 

I've started a feature request to add support for paginated responses in Connectors.  Feel free to add a vote to that request if you use any methods like I described to loop through contents. 

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/430063-5-nintex-workflow-cloud/suggestions/40062262-add-support-...

0 Kudos