Convert a completed form into a pdf file

• 31 March 2022
  • 7 replies

I have a standard NWC form with a workflow. When the user completes the form, I want to save the completed form in pdf format in OneDrive. I am aware of Document Generation however I don't want to use a template. I want to save the file as is. How do you achieve this?

7 replies

Badge +3

Hi Gramny

I would like to understand your use case a bit better. 

What format would you like to save this data in OneDrive? Would you be able to provide an example of the form that you are using and the way you would expect this data to be saved.

Thanks

Sid

I would like the standard completed Nintex Workflow cloud form to be saved in pdf format in OneDrive. I am looking for a mechanism to save the completed forms. I don't want to add the content to a template and then save to PDF. I want to convert the form and content to a pdf.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I know there's a user voice suggestion for this: 

Create PDF Rule of Completed Form – Customer Feedback for Nintex (uservoice.com)

For reference, there's also been a couple other forum posts for this same request:

Print to pdf nwc task form - Nintex Community

How can I save the original submission form in Clo... - Nintex Community

This would be a very useful feature to have! Nintex Forms usual looks very clean and sleek, so I'd rather have a PDF form of the Nintex Form rather than one created via Doc Gen using a template I have to make from scratch. 

Badge

Strangely the UserVoice to create this function moved to “Planned” and subsequently the UserVoice link doesn't exist anymore.

@Nintex - What happened?

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/430063-5-nintex-workflow-cloud/suggestions/44050977-create-pdf-rule-of-completed-form

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@vgramny That link is for the old UserVoice site. This is the relevant link for the “Nintex Ideas” site: https://ideas.nintex.com/ideas/IDEA-I-2798

That being said, there’s been a few requests for an update on that particular idea, and I don’t think a Nintex employee has responded. It’s also not on the roadmap, so it would be nice if we could get some answer as to when the planned feature is forecasted to arrive. 

Badge

To save a completed NWC form as a PDF file in OneDrive without using a template, you can create a custom action in your NWC workflow that will generate the PDF file from the completed form data and save it to your OneDrive account.

Here's a general outline of the steps you can follow:

1. Create a custom action in your NWC workflow: In your workflow, create a custom action that will generate the PDF file from the completed form data and save it to OneDrive. To do this, you can use the "Create file" action from the OneDrive connector in NWC. In the "Create file" action, set the "File content" parameter to the output of the "Generate PDF" action.

2. Generate the PDF file from the form data: To generate the PDF file from the completed form data, you can use a third-party library or service that can convert HTML or XML to PDF. You can pass the completed form data to the library or service and it will generate the PDF file.

3. Save the PDF file to OneDrive: Once you have generated the PDF file, you can save it to your OneDrive account using the "Create file" action from the OneDrive connector in NWC. Set the "File name" parameter to a unique name for the PDF file, and set the "Folder path" parameter to the OneDrive folder where you want to save the file.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@Xiopron By any chance did that come straight out of ChatGPT? The syntax of that response seems pretty similar to those responses.

Not that that’s a bad thing! But, the order of steps don’t make the most sense, and step 2 is pretty vague.