Solved

Capturing errors in NWC SQL Execute a query action

• 30 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

We have a NWC workflow with a SQL execute a query action that does an insert query to an on-prem SQL database based on details captured in the start form.

When we had a network issue which caused the action and the workflow to fail with no ability to gracefully handle the error. In this case we lost the data submitted by the user in the start form.

This is the error we see in the instance information.

7658i96B7A20DB5A246A8.png

In the interim we are looking at a backup action to also capture the data into a sharepoint list.

What would be good is similar to the nintex sharepoint on-prem sql action is the ability to optionally capture errors and then capture that an error had occured into a boolean variable. That way I can build some better logic into the workflow to ensure that information is not lost and the workflow can conclude more gracefully.

In my scenario above I would want to only add an item into the sharepoint list when the SQL action timesout.

I've created a new uservoice for this idea if you would like to vote for it.

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/430063-5-nintex-workflow-cloud/suggestions/40302772-sql-execute-a-query-capture-error-option

icon

Best answer by Gavin-Adams 1 May 2020, 07:39

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Great idea @Gavin-Adams! I've added my votes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thanks for that.

For those reading along my solution of inserting an item into a sharepoint list didn't really work.

I added parallel action then branch 1 had create item in a sharepoint online list and branch 2 execute sql.

Technically it worked however we ran into sharepoint online throttling issues with the number of form submissions. The workflow instances were starting to queue up to over 30min run times or more.

I think if we get the ability to capture errors in the sql action then conditionally only create the sharepoint list item when the execute sql action fails that would be a great outcome.