Update existing process instance when item changed

• 4 October 2011
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge

Hi,

I am very new to blackpearl so this is probably a very simple answer but I have the following scenario which I cannot resolve and would appreciate some help.

I have a SharePoint list which stores details of licences including expiry date, I want an email to be sent to the person responsible for the licence 30 days before it expires.

So I have created a workflow which sets a data field with a notification date which is 30 days before the expiry date and and email event which has a start rule of the notification date, so far so good. I have tested this workflow and it works exactly how I want, however the problem occurs that if somebody changes the list item I want it to update the active process instance with the new dates or at the very list kill the running instance with the old values and then start a new instance. What seems to happen though is when somebody changes the list item the original instance keeps running and will send the notification on the original date and a second instance is created which will send another notification on the new date.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 reply

Badge +11

Before sending the notification check to see if the expiration date in the list has changed.  If it has, let the instance end.  The new instance will start and calculate a new date.