States vs Current Workflow Activity

• 21 December 2016
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi Everyone,

I have  been developing smartforms using states. I don't know if it's me or what but I tend to find states slowig the performance of my forms in such a way that I took one of the forms that had issues and changed from states to just having one state added to the base and used currrent workflow activity check. Performance of the form was then acceptable after that change.

Now what I want to find out is, which one is the best K2 practce standard between the two ways or is there actually another better way than the two I have mentioned?

2 replies

Badge +5

Hi Zipho

There are several ways in which one can play around the K2 Designer through those ways that you mentioned on your post, however one cannot tell which of the two practises is best when compared to one another. The result of each practice depends on the approach that you take as you see it fit in relation to your specs and skills or experience that you have with K2. So, I do not think it is possible to point one practice between the two as the best one.

I do not have knowledge as to which other practice you can consider other than that mentioned by you here.

Regards,

Abraham.

Badge +5

Hi Zipho,

I have developed smart forms using both processes and each come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages.

Another method you could think about using if you have a lot of states is recreating the form multiple times, completely seperating the rules entirely and it doesn't stop you using the same views, again if you end up with a lot of forms it can become a bit of a handful to manage small changes.

I have also toyed with the idea in grouping the states (e.g. Manager approval stages have their own state that could be 2-3 different activities) which helps you keep things organised.

in the end it is down to personal preference and varies from application what method is best..

Kind Regards,

Martin