Process goes missing when IPC event used

• 26 July 2007
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have a set of processes (3) that can call each other using asynchronous IPC events. I have found that occasionaly when I make one process call another the new process never appears in the destination user's worklist.  The following message is logged by the K2 Server every second

4129 A database error occured : Could not find stored procedure 'SELECT Originator FROM _ProcInst (NOLOCK) WHERE ID = @ProcInstID'

I have found that I can stop the error message in the development environment by deleting the row from the table _IPCAsync, but obviously this is not a solution for the production environment.

How can I stop this from happening, or alternativley, how can I correct it if it does? 

TM

3 replies

Badge +9
Could it be that your parent process is completing before the child returns?
Badge +6
This happens ons Async IPC when the activity with the IPC event has more than one destination. This means that multiple IPC's are started. When the first IPC child process completes the parent also completes. When the other children processes complete and cannot find the IPC event from the now completed parent process you get this error.
Badge +6

Hmmm - Made a serious mistake here... Actually Johnny is correct and I was partially correct.

There is a known issue starting async IPCas the Originator -> the parent process can complete before all the children are started causing the error because the originator cannot be found for the parent -> It is not available any longer.

What you have to do is add an activity with an empry server event with a startrule of 1 minute after the IPC event activity. This will enable the IPC to start successfully.