4.7 to Five Design Changes Masterpost

• 29 May 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi All,

I thought it might be helpful to compile a running list of design changes big and small from 4.7 to Five (including 5.1). I will be updating this and adding more features as I go along, but for now thought I would start out with stuff that has come up with customers and info that can be found in the K2 Five Release Notes (http://help.k2.com/kb002044 if you would like to take a look yourself). Please feel free to add on to this list in the comments as well. 

- If you need to use the concatenate function in the Workflow designer, go to Operators > Text and use "Join". The function is still labeled as "concatenate" when configuring expressions in the Views/Forms designer.

- Process Overview Report and User Overview Report are available through vanity URLS ([Server]/Report/ProcessOverview and [Server]/Report/UserOverview respectively). All other reports can be found in Management > Workflow Server > Workflows > Workflow >Process Details > Reports.

- In the Rich Text Control you can now provide URLS as hyperlinks as well as preview the hyperlinks. You can also upload and copy/paste images with this control.

- The Start Event wizard and User Task wizards are now separate and have different options. When you create a workflow based off a form, workflow rules are added to the form immediately upon completing the start event wizard. For more detail on this, head here: https://help.k2.com/kb001855

- The "Save document to file location" method available in SharePoint 2013 document library SmartObjects has been deprecated.To accomplish this in Five, store the file in a SmartBox SmartObject.

- Expressions for View/Form controls are now configured in the Layout step of the Designer.

- In 5.1 you can now export information from standard reports in Management to Excel.

- You can create your own variable for reference using the context browser in the K2 Five workflow designer. Simply expand the context browser, click "add a variable", choose data type and assign an initial value if necessary. 

1 reply

Badge +6

For us, the biggest challenge in upgrading to K2 5.x is that all our K2 processes use a custom ASP.NET interface and the process is designed using K2 for Visual Studio which is no longer supported beyond 2019.

Our ASP.NET interfaces serialize all form data as XML and pass it to custom DLLs which extract out data field(s) that affect process routing, line rules, etc. and invoke methods in K2/SourceCode DLLs in Server Events' custom code. 

Since the K2 browser-based designer no longer support custom code, all integration should be done using REST API endpoints. I am struggling to understand what this means for us given how our custom ASP.NET interfaces work as described above. Can we import the process KPRX into K2 Five new designer tool? What happens to all the custom code?

Has anyone done this? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks