Need help with Update document Action

Badge +3

I have set up create item workflow on list database which is set to start on item creation and creates word document out list item properties. The documents are being created in document library on the same site as list database is.

This workflow is set up the following way. It has just create item action

create item action settings

and it works fine. When item is created in the list document is also created in the library.

BUT, I have a second workflow on that list which is set up to start when item is modified and it is supposed to Update document based on changes done in parent item. It is set up the following way

Update doc action WF settings

the first two actions are to build Update doc source and output URL (consists of [path to doc library]/[current item title - same as doc name].docx) The other 3 actions are to get updated values from list item fields into the variables. Update doc action is set up the following way (source URL is the same as Output URL=constructed path to word doc and overwrite existing item is selected at the bottom)

BUT, this WF doesn´t work as expected! It actually updates the document, you can see modification "A few seconds ago" with respective word doc. but the values in in Content controls remain the same as they were when doc. was created by the WF described above.

Any ideas please?

Many thanx

Jan

7 replies

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

Creating the document does not use the same mechanisme as updating the document. The 'Update document' action needs the Word Automation service. Hence my first questions are:

1. Does your farm have the Word Automation service properly installed and active?
  2. Does the 'Update document' work on other documents?

Cheers,

Rick

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi, 

in the word document are you using content controls or are you referencing document properties using quick parts? If you're using the second one, you have to update the item properties and not the content controls..

If instead you're using content controls, have you tried using fixed text instead of referencing variables? and if it works, try to add just one content control each time, so you can figure out better if everything is working correctly..

Badge +3

Hi Giacomo,

yes, I was using quick parts. When I switched to normal update item action and updated item properties as you suggested all works fine.

Many thanx for your help. Really appreciate it!

Jan

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

Please mark the answer of Giacomo as the correct answer. This helps the community. Thanks!

Badge +16

‌ this is a blog post so the option to mark correct won't be there.

Badge +8

Sharp  I did not see that. I assumed it was a question. Assumptions....

Badge +3

Hi Frank,

I appologize for raising this up as a blog post instead of a question. I am new here and this is my firts activity on this community site. Won´t happen again.

If this needs to be resubmitted as a question please tell me how

Thanx

Jan