Creating and Updating repeating control columns in another list

• 2 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +9

Hi All,

This is my first blog and I hope it will help the beginners who are working on repeating control

Scenario:

List A and List B are two Lists with columns ColumnA,ColumnB in repeating control and depending upon some condition you want to create/modify the item in ListB

Example:

• List Asia has  columns  "Country" and "City" in the repeating section hence we can add multiple rows for the values "Country" and "City" .List "Asia" also has "Count" column which is not present in the repeating section
  • Suppose we want to update the  item of list named "Events" which will also have "Country" and "City"  in the repeating section with the values of "Country" and "City" in the repeating section of list Asia.
  • List "Events" will also have "Count" column which will be updated with the value of "Count" of the item in List "Asia"

Issue:

Repeating control columns appear blank in the list view by default and if we write a simple workflow to create item in ListB by specifying ColumnA and ColumnB it wont work

Example:

We write a simple workflow to update the item in List "Events" with the values "Country","City" and"Count"  of the item in List Asia then only the value "Count" will appear in List "Events"  values for "Country" and "City" will appear blank when we open the Nintex form in Edit/View mode

Solution:

• Create a MultiLine text column of plain type example a column named  "ReadXml" in both lists
    • Open the Nintex form of the boths the lists to edit and Connect "ReadXml" column  to the repeating controls  of both the Lists
    • Now in the workflow to  create/update item in List "Events" specify the value of "ReadXml"of List "Events" equals to "ReadXml"of List "Asia"
    • Data will be updated on modify and create condition and values for "Country" and "City" will appear in the Nintex form in Edit/View mode

5 replies

Badge +9

Thanks for your suggestion.

Apologies for not putting the screenshots . I use the Nintex on my corporate machine on which uploading the screenshot is not possible.

Following are the replies to your query

1. I have tested this on SharePoint 2013 onpremise with Nintex version 3.1.4.0
  2. Basic idea is to show the data in the repeating section of  Nintex form in another list  hence both Nintex forms and Workflows are required
  3. "ReadXml" is just the name given to multi-line column but remember it is of plain type rather than rich text field.It is used to show the values in the repeating section in the form of xml hence values of "ColumnA" and "ColumnB" would be visible in xml format in "ReadXML" column.

I will try to change the post to make it more readable

Badge +9

Please Let me know if the blog post is clear now

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I think we all use Nintex from our corporate environments, but you should be able to redact any sensitive information or server names, especially in the action config screens.

Badge +9

Ya,that's correct. But it is clearly mention not to upload any screenshot on the external forums hence I am not uploading

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Fair enough