Approval workflow help

• 20 July 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

I have done quite a bit of searching but am still struggling to find a solution. I have built a travel request list and associated workflow. It is a multi staged approval. It has to be approved by Dept. Head, then by Exec. Office, then by Finance. Normally, when a request is submitted, a notification will be sent to the Dept. Head with a link to the request so that they can go directly to it, but they want the ability to see all of their requests at once. When presented to leadership, they wanted the ability to approve multiple requests with out have to click on each one, being taken in to the Approval ID page, approving, and then going to the next request.

My thinking was to take the workflow task list where each task shows up and have them approve them from there. My problem there is that I cannot get any of the data from the request to show up in the task list so that they know what they are approving. I tried associating the content types I created for the request list, in the task list, but the data does not show up in the task list columns. Is it possible to get that data from the request list to show up in the task list along with the task?

Is there a way to select and approve multiple tasks?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do you want to see request data in task list's 'List view'?

or is it sufficient in single task form?

for the former case there is no such possibility OOTB. you would need to extend task list and copy request data overĀ  on your own.

but I wouldn't do that at all. you will just get into troubles, eg. how to keep them in sync with source request list.

for the later case, I assume you are aware of that either default sharepoint task form or customized nintex form shows data from an item workflow is running on.

if you need to approve travel requests in bulk, have you considered to create single approval request for group of travel requests?

eg. one approval request per department and week or so?

lastly, are you aware of 'My Workflow Tasks' webpart?

if you prepared a page with the webpart, users/approvers would see all their active tasks at single place. so they could quickly navigate from task to task and approve them.