How to configure Workflow Tasks to wait for ALL assignees to respond?

• 4 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Despite all the configurable settings of a Flexi/Approval/Todo task, I keep experiencing (as others do going through the various posts) an unwanted behavior: depending of the outcomes received so far, other users may find themselves no longer needed/required to provide feedback. There are enough examples to mention where one needs the feedback from ALL assignees, and not partial when either a certain (e.g. majority approves) or unwanted (1 reject when all need to approve) outcome is reached.

How can I achieve waiting for all assignees (with individual tasks) to respond without having to create a complex workflow (using loops and the standard tasks list)?

PS: and I voted for a similar user voice on this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I've never had the need to implement such a workflow but I think following might work

- configure a new field on task list that will store your CustomDecision

- configure just a single outcome for flexi task (you'll have to enable 'Do not create branches' in advanced options first)

- configure 'All must agree' or 'All must agree on a specific outcome' behaviour

- configure individual tasks for flexitask

- let the flexitask store Task IDs

- hide OOTB Decision control on task form

- connect submit button to OOTB Decision tasklist field and configure the value it returns to the numeric value related to your single outcome

- configure your custom CustomDecision tasklist field on task form, possibly make  it mandatory

- process all the CustomDecisions in the workflow after the flexitask. you will have to get them from tasklist based on saved task IDs

so your approvers will make decision by your custom CustomDecision field, whereas submit button will always responds with the same flexistask's response. that will ensure that flexistask wait until last approver responds, and aprovers' real responses are saved within tasklist in your custom field.

hopefully it make sense happy.png 

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Thank you Marian Hatala,

In stead of the Flexi Task I think using the Review Task would do as well; in the end it's for a review process, however users should be able to approve/reject a current version, including comments. Which can be accomplished with a custom outcome field (I've not yet tested if the OoB Outcome field is still available in a Review task) using a Nintex task Form.

Actually this is the setup I 've currently implemented and seems to be working fine.

Most of the time I guess it's ok to 'abort' a Flexi/Approval task when a different outcome is given then the set behaviour is waiting for. But occasionally the business needs all input for an approval process.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

sure, it's possible approach if you can cope with review action limitations.

from your question I had however feeling you're looking specifically for combination of flexitask's functionality (custom resp. at least approve/reject outcomes) and 'all must respond' behavior.

Most of the time I guess it's ok to 'abort' a Flexi/Approval task when a different outcome is given then the set behaviour is waiting for.

I rather have opposite experience.

'response not required' are always one of first notifications I had to reduce (if used at all) due to 'too many notifications' objections. even if they are being sent, nobody matches not required notifications with their respective original task assigned ones.

so users keep trying to respond tasks from task assigned notifications and if they already was answered by somebody else they keep getting SP's error message. so they get perception application is permanently not working and I (they) always keep getting errors...

the other drawback is that users step by step learn that they're getting errors once task already has been by responded by somebody else. but they do not recognize once they get error for other reasons. so there are left tasks that nobody responds to and nobody reports there is some problem with them.