Document - Upload and Update Metadata

• 14 April 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

I'm using a SmartForm with a Task List and Document Library as follows.

In my task list, when the user adds a task, the form has 2 tabs: one tab to populate specific meta data related to a document, the second tab to actually upload the document. When the document is upload it is dropped into the document library.

The problem I'm running into is that when I go into the Document Library to see the document I uploaded, I want to be able to see all the meta data associated with that document (ie. the data on the first tab of the task list form when the user uploaded the document). RIght now only the document is being dropped into the library but it isn't pulling the meta data associated with it. Is there a way to populate the specific columns in the document library based on the meta data populated on the first tab of the task list form?

Thank You!

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi ccdavo

What version of SharePoint are you using (2010, 2013)? Are you doing the upload from the form or via a workflow?

Regardless of version, you should be able to upload a document and populate meta data (SharePoint columns) using the upload document method of the smartobject created for the document library. When the library smartobject is created it will create properties to match the library fields (meta data).