Solved

Validation rule for required field based on a multi select choice field

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Need to know the validation rule for a required field based on a multi select field. My research shows I have to use “inArray”, but it is not working for me. Example requirement: 

Field 1, “IT equipment” with choices: computers, monitors, accessories (multi-select)

Field 2, “Accessories” with choices: mouse, keyboard, headphones (mutli-select - and only appears if ‘accessories” is selected from Field 1

Field 3, “Number of computers”

Filed 4, “Number of keyboards”

Q1. Need validation rule to make a multi-select field (Field 2) a required field based on selection of multi-select field (field 1)

Q2. Need validation rule to make a text/number field (field 3 or field 4) required based on multi-select field (field 2)

Any assistnace would greatly be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Garrett 10 January 2023, 14:23

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @isabellamai 

Let me get this right,

Field2 only appears when Field1 has “Accessories” select. Done

Does Field3 and Field4 have any rules for Show/Hide?

and if field2, field3 and field4 appears, they have to be required via validation rule, right?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Field 3 and field 4 will show/hide based on the other choices e.g., number of computers or number of monitors.

I can get to show/hide, but I need to make sure that the field 2, 3, or 4 must have data based on what is selected in field 1 or field 2...so field 3 would display when computers is selected from field 1, and field 4 would display based on field 2...but data must be selected in field 2 IF “accessories” is completed and data must be entered in field 3, if computers is selected, and field 4 if keyboards is selected. Thanks Garrett for taking a look. I used not(inArray(Accessories,”Keyboard”),isNullOrEmpty(Number of Keyboards)) - but the field is not enforcing this validation of data must be entered? What am I doing wrong...and I am using the ‘Named Controls’.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@Garrett - please note, FIelds 1 and 2 should be set up as ‘Checkboxes - allow multi-selections)

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @isabellamai 

You will need 3 rules to Show-Hide Field2, Field3 and Field4.
You will need another 3 rules to Validate Field2, Field3 and Field4.
(Later), You may wish to combine the Validate into a single rule. 

I have provided the summary for the fields 2,3,4.
I have provided screenshots for Field2 Rules.
I believe that you should be more than capable to resolve field3 and field4 from the summary.

Form Design 
- Field1, Field2 (Checkbox - Multiple)
- Field3, Field4 (Text)

Field2: Show / Hide fields  |  Validate field

Field2 - Show-Hide
→ Hide when not(Field1 = “Accessories”)
→ Show when Field1 == “Accessories”
FINAL → not( contains( field1, “Accessories”))

Field2 - Validate
→ when Field1 == “Accessories”  AND length(Field2) == 0

Field3: Show / Hide fields  |  Validate field

Field3 - Show-Hide
→ Hide when not(Field1 == “Computers”)
→ Show when Field1 == “Computers”
FINAL → not( contains( field1, “Computers”))

Field3 - Validate
→ when Field1 == “Computers”  AND Field3 == “”

Field4: Show / Hide fields  |  Validate field

Field4 - Show-Hide
→ Hide when not(Field2 == “Keyboard”)
→ Show when Field2 == “Keyboard”
FINAL → not( contains( field2, “Computers”))

Field4 - Validate
→ when Field2 == “Keyboard”  AND Field4 == “”

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Output 

Initial Form

Validation Active when Accessories is shown and nothing is selected
Validation Active when Computers field is shown and nothing is entered
Validation Active when Accessories is shown and nothing is selected
Validation Active when Keyboards field is shown and nothing is entered

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@Garrett - thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to respond to this question. It’s interesting that the IsNullOrEmpty doesn’t work for the multi-select field. I read somewhere that it had to do with the fact that the list doesn’t recognize the selections as an entry. This was the first time I have used length in a validation formula.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@Garrett - as an extension to this problem...when field 3 is filled ‘number of computers’, additional fields would be required based on the number e.g., if 5, fields: ‘computer number 1’, ‘computer number 2’, ‘computer number 3’, ‘computer number 4’, ‘computer number 5’ would be required fields. I tried to use the same concept for the show/hide for the invalidate, but it does not work e.g., and(not(contains(NumberOfComputers,”2”),and(not(contains(NumberOfComputers,”3”)and(not(contains(NumberOfComputers,”4”),not(contains(NumberOfComputers,”5”))))))  

If I use the same above concept, how would I write the rule that would work as my combinations are not working. Is there a rule that allows you to say, If Number of Computers is 1 thru 5, then fields, Computer Number 1, Computer Number 2, Computer Number 3, Computer Number 4, and Computer Number 5 are required fields? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@Garrett  - hoping the solution allows me to combine rules versus creating potentially up to five separate validation rules...in my case, I will need to create about 20-30 fields for the computer name and am trying to find a way to consolidate the rules versus creating up to 20-30 rules per field

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @isabellamai 

Using individual rules for each field - PC1 - PC5

Validation is feasible

Just that it would be very tedious or monotonous as each field needs 2 rules (1 for ShowHide, 1 for validation)

Need to change the value for the highlight (1 for PC1, 2 for PC2,.. 5 for PC5

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @isabellamai 

Your other question - combine Validation - my mind is a blank on this

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@Garrett - thank you. I modified the formula slightly because I did not need to reference the field 1 and the below also works:  not(greaterThanOrEqual(NumberOfComputers,1) && {Self}==””

Thank you for saving me time and showing me the greaterThanOrEqual option - as that would have saved me some work on the show/hide.

My question on combining validation was resolved by your solution as I was thinking I needed to do something like:  {Self} && contains(NumberOfComputers,1) || contains(NumberOfComputers,2) || contains(NumberOfComputers,2) || etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@Garrett - ignore - I think I know what caused my error