Skip to main content

My manager has asked me why we could not use the “manager title” in our workflows. 

1. we use Microsoft Active Directory.
  2. we use AD security groups and people picker for approvers
  3. as far i as know there is no option to use a "TITLE” as the approver.
  4. again not to to use the built in manager or manager manager within nintex but the persons HR TITLE in AD.
  5. they believe that if the title was in the workflow and another person is placed in that title that the workflow would automatically update. 
  6. I would like to help to address this problem with the facts.
  7. we currently use nintex for sharepoint

thank you for helping.

Hi @dougwinters 

Assignment tasks are based on direct user relationships, there is no role based approvals per se. 
Title as a designation is notoriously unreliable.  

When a task is assigned it is created and the assignee field is filled with a mail enabled account, this could be a shared mailbox if you want to create a task that isn't assigned to an individual, if you set this based on title which is a completely dynamic value on an account and is not tracked this would invalidate any approvals you get historically.

If you want to dynamically assign tasks then you can always keep a Sharepoint list storing your approvers that the workflow will refer to when assigning, that way if someone changes roles any new workflows will pick up the new person.

You could also create a rule in the form and workflow that prevents completion of the task if the person modifying it doesn't have the correct group if you are using a no name task assignment.