Solved

People Picker not saving the value, gives ID when queried. Also not displaying calculated value correctly. calculated

• 10 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

The issue I am facing is, the value of people picker is not getting saved into the list. 

Any suggestions on why this is happening?

icon

Best answer by SM123 24 April 2023, 18:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

1. Does the issue only occur with this list or all lists in the environment?
  2. Do you see the same issue with a SharePoint form on this list?
  3. How is the people picker column configured?

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @SM123 
Did you resolve your issue?

Badge +4

Hi @MillaZ 

The issue I had was, in the task form I had a People Picker and a calculate value that saves the display name of People picker value. When I select any name in the people picker sometimes it used to show loading …. in the calculated value, this People picker value is the next approver in my workflow. So i tried assigning a variable directly to the people picker field instead of calculated value, but this always gave the ID of the user and workflow could not assign the task to this ID. So I used query list action to get the people picker column value, this gave me domain name, then I worked around it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @SM123 

Just to clarify a few things

1. Your Task Form has a People Picker field. Is this field saved into a SP People field?
    PS: This is the normal practice
  2. From what you have stated, it seems that you are extracting value from the People Picker field into a Calculated field. The calculated field value is then saved into a SP Text field, right?
  3. What value are you extracting - Email, Title / Display Name, others?

Badge +4

Hi @Garrett 

1. As there was a issue where the people picker in the task form was not saving the People picker value even tough its connected to SP People column,(Happened many times in our dev environment), So I used a variable to get the value and update it later in the workflow using update action to its SP people column.
  2. Yes, the calculated field value is saved into a SP Text field.
  3. I am extracting Display Name, as this name will be the Approver of the next task form, and also it needs to be updated in some columns.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @SM123 

Nice cute Panda avatar!

1. Task form was not saving the People picker value even though its connected to SP People column” - this is abnormal behavior which you should get help from Nintex Support. 
    I understand your workaround. You are saving the value twice - first update as “Display Name” to SP Text column and second update as display name value to SP People column. 
    Is the second update successful (save to SP People column)?
    If YES, then your issue is solved, right?
  2. Noted.
  3. You stated you are extracting Display Name - which column are you retrieving from SP Text or SP People. if your second update is successful, should you be able to use the value from SP People directly in the Task Assignee field? 
Badge +4

Hi @Garrett 

Yes the issue is resolved now, the workaround I did seems to work fine.

Thanks!!