Solved

How to update SharePoint View from Nintex workflow

• 19 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

I am using SharePoint 2016 on premise. Have a Nintex workflow that updates the Workflow Task list. I have a requirement to update a View that I created in the Workflow Task list. For instance, I want the view to be filtered based on a criteria - Created Date is less than the notification date. I want to dynamically enter the notification date using my workflow. Someone told me that I could use a Web Service Call for that i.e. to update the view. But I cannot find any documentation on that.

How do I update the criteria of a SharePoint View from the Nintex workflow?

. Any documentation or example would help.

Thanks in advance.

Mayank

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 20 March 2024, 04:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @guru2000,

The web service you need belongs to Microsoft, called Views.asmx.
You will need to use the UpadateView method.
MS documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-2010/bb250235(v=office.14)

Badge +6

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for sending this valuable resource. Could you tell me specifically how to add a filter to an existing view 

For instance, I want the view to be filtered based on a criteria - Created Date is less than the notification date. I want to dynamically enter the notification date using my workflow. 

How do I use the UpdateView method to achieve that. Where exactly do I enter the notification date criteria. Thanks so much.

Mayank

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @guru2000,

Based on the document provided, you will need to add a query XML node to the web service call.

Something like:

<Query>
<Where>
<Lt>
<FieldRef Name="CreatedDate"/>
<Value Type="DateTime">NotificationDate</Value>
</Lt>
</Where>
</Query>

A workflow reference can be used for the Notification Date in the web service call to make the workflow dynamic.

As this web service belongs to Microsoft, you may need to post on their forums for more information on its configuration.

Badge +6

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your continued  support. Want to confirm what I need to put into the following Web Service (input),

1. Listname (string)
  2. viewName (string)

I put in the internal name for the list. For View Name, I put the View Guid as per the instructions. But I keep receiving the following error message from the Web Service,

Workflow Notification

Error = Error returned from server: soap:ServerException of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.Parameter viewName is missing or invalid.0x82000001

Regards,

Mayank Shyam

Badge +6

Never mind. I resolved it. I had to capture ViewName from SharePoint Designer. That worked.