Solved

Hide Panel By Expression

• 4 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

Hello,

I’m using Nintex 2016 v4.6.1.0 on prem.  I need to hide a panel using two choices.  1st is the fn-IsMemberOfGroup(HR Members) and 2nd if field “HR Team Member” equals Yes.  The 2nd field is a drop down with values Yes or No.

When I try this as a rule on the panel, I’m still prompted to fill out fields in the hidden panel.

icon

Best answer by melodie 5 January 2023, 21:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @melodie 

Would you mind to share a screenshot and the rules which you are using?

I would suggest you to just use only the 2nd rule when field “HR Team Member” equals Yes (This is far easier to test and verify). 
Test it out when the following is working. 
- HR Team Member” equals Yes - Hide PANEL
- HR Team Member” equals NO - Show PANEL

Once you have gotten this correctly, then add the first condition *fn-IsMemberOfGroup(HR Members)”. Try to use a another calculated field to just display the result of *fn-IsMemberOfGroup(HR Members)”, this is to verify the function is being used correctly and that the “HR Members” group is defined correctly 

Badge +4

Hi Garret,

Sure appreciate the follow up!

The panel is hiding as expected when just the fn-IsMemberOfGroup(HR ERP Members) is used. 

But try as I might, I can’t get the 2nd piece to work.  I must have the syntax wrong.  

The second piece is the “HRTeamMbr” field equals Yes.  It’s a simple dropdown list containing only No and Yes.  No is the default.

I have it set up like this to hide the panel HRTeamMbr==”Yes”.  

I’ve also tried to use rules to make this work.  In this scenario, the panel does hide but it also prompts to fill out some of the fields on the hidden panel.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @melodie 

First Issue: Some fields are required. How are you doing this?

Are you using the Control Settings → Validation → Required?

These fields will still be required even if they are hidden. (Will get back to first issue later.)

Second issue: How to hide the Panel when 2 conditions are True (or Yes)

This is my form. (isMemberofGroup) Choice1 and (HR Team Member) Choice2 fields. The text fields are Name and Email

Please note that I am substituting the isMemberofGroup function with another function.

I am using a Rule to make the Panel1 show or hide.

Choice1 == “Yes” && Choice2 == “Yes”

When both choices are YES, the panel is hidden from view,

You probably have manage to get this done.

Second issue is settled. Let get back to the first issue.

First Issue

If you using the Control Settings → Validation → Required (YES). Please set it to NO

Instead use Rules for validation and apply the rule to those fields.

How to create the rules? Here is the Rule. 

When the Panel is shown (and both choices are not YES), the field is required when SAVE is clicked

When both choices are YES

- The Panel is hidden

- The Validation for Required fields is disabled.

Hope that helps. 

Badge +4

Hi Garrett,

We’re using rules for the fields to be required.  So that part checks out.

When using rules, I don’t see the option to select “IsMemberofGroup”.  How is this accomplished?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @melodie 

You can use the inline function as a value of the text field. In the image below, TextField2 is selected, refer to the Name and Default value. You can place the inline fuction, “fn-isMemberofGroup(HR)”. When the field is displayed, it shall either display True or False,

Then you can use this in the ShowHide Panel rule.

Badge +4

Hi Garret,

Almost there!  I’m now able to get the panel to hide/show as needed when the 2 conditions are met.  Yay!!!

However, there are 2 fields in the hidden panel that are popping up as required fields.  There are 7 fields in the hidden panel, all are formatted the same.  I don’t understand how only 2 fields are prompting for inputs before saving.  

1 field is a People control and the other is a Yes/No control.  All the other fields are Choice controls - and these all work as expected.  Thoughts?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @melodie 

It is really difficult to tell what is causing the 2 fields to prompt as required fields without a detail investigation of the form and the fields in the form.

Would you mind to share screenshots and the settings for those fields?
Better yet, an export of the form (Please scrub any actual identity or details out)

Did you check that the 2 fields settings?
Did you verify the Control Settings → Validation → Required (Set to NO) ?
Is there other rules or validation that is conflicting? 

Badge +4

Hi Garret,

Yup, I checked those settings.  Rather than troubleshoot further, I changed the rules on two fields.  It’s working like a charm now.  Thanks a Million for Your Help!!!