Question

Compare two lists

• 23 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have two lists,

A-list :
- there we set up cost acceptance requests which are used to describe invoices, they are numbered 

list B
- list of invoices, where we use the approval number from list A for the description (we enter this number in one of the fields)

I have been asked if it is possible to compare the two lists, so that in the list, next to the number of the approval that has already been used in list B, there would be some kind of marking, for example "Used".

Is it possible to create something like this? Because frankly I have no idea

Best regards

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

It’s difficult to say without getting more information and ideally some sort of visual example of what your current setup is.

List A is a list of Requests, and those Requests seem to go through some sort of Approval Process and are given a ‘number’ as part of this process. Is the Approval Number unique or is it more like a status picked from a choice field? Do you use a Nintex Form to input this Number or is it automated by way of some other process or workflow?

List B is a list of Invoices. Are there Multiple Invoices that are related back to just 1 Request by way of its Approval Number, or is it a One to One (One Request to One Invoice) relationship? Are the Invoices created after a Request has been approved or are Requests and Invoices created at the same time and manually related later?

It’s difficult to know exactly what you want or where you want the work to be done (on a form (Classic, Responsive, or NEW Responsive?) or performed by a workflow to show something in the list) without just a bit more detail.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

In list B, have a workflow that sets a field in List A called “Used” when the approval number in A is used.

Create a list view of A called “Open” and filter out any items where B has set the Used field flag in A.

The form for B would not have a freeform field for the approval item from A, but instead use a list lookup form control back to list A, using the filtered view “Open”.  That way a user in B could not select an item in A that has been used…

Also, in the SharePoint list settings for B, set the approval info field in B to Unique values...