Solved

Using same document template to create multiple PDFs

• 26 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I’m trying for the first time to create multiple (separate) PDFs with the Generate document action. My workflow will generate up to five such documents.

All of these documents are using the same Word document as their template. Some of the data will be the same on all documents; others will be different on each one.

It seems that I need to save up to five versions of the same Word document, and tag each with the data that applies to it, in order for this to work. Is that right? Like I said, this is the first time I’ve tried this particular functionality. I’ve reviewed the Nintex University course on this topic and it doesn’t seem to contemplate this scenario where the workflow is producing separate documents based on the same template.

icon

Best answer by AnthonyD 26 February 2024, 23:40

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @DavidAD ,

This really depends on how you want to implement this functionality and what works for your scenario.

Option 1 could be the use a loop / parallel task and nest the generate document. Just prior to the generate document step, you can then use a run if condition and nest a set a variable action. This way you can use the the same document template, which uses the same workflow variable, but the workflow will determine what data is in the variable. 

Option 2 comprises of using the same word template, the logic is transferred to the word document. using the if statements. 

Option 3 comprises of using a different word template per situation.

Option 4 comprises of splitting the word documents up into separate sections. So there might 4 header sections of the word document and use can use the conditional filter in the generate document action. Then use a standard body and lastly, have 4 separate footer sections with conditional filters. The different sections of the document will merge together as specified by the generate document action.

Out of the options….
I think option 1 could work for minor data updates.
I think option 2 is too confusing and the if statements usually hide, so it is not straight forward to see how the different data appears each time.

I think option 3 could work if the data is too different (for option 1)

I think option 4 is a better alternative to option 3.

Please let me know if there are any follow up questions you have.

Thanks,

Anthony

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks, @AnthonyD! You’ve given me a lot to chew on, and I appreciate your thorough response. I may end up going with your option 3 as the data does have the potential to be too different, but I’ll take a look at it and see what I can do.