Solved

Nintex Automation Cloud: SharePoint Online Start Event Condition Builder: Only on update

• 18 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

in the Nintex onPrem version it was possible to define a start event condition only for an update event.

So that the workflow starts everytime a new element is created, but only on a condition, when an element is updated.

It seems to me, according to the documentation, that this differentiation is not possible with NAC.

Is there any way to make this differentiation with NAC, or is this a missing feature?

Best regards,

Niklas

icon

Best answer by brent_read 19 April 2024, 16:28

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

If you only want a workflow to run conditionally when a SharePoint online item is updated, you should be able to use the “SharePoint - Update list item” event in the Start Event configuration. There’s a Condition builder there that supports the behavior you are looking for.

Here’s the documentation: SharePoint Online - Update list item (nintex.com)

Badge +3

If you only want a workflow to run conditionally when a SharePoint online item is updated, you should be able to use the “SharePoint - Update list item” event in the Start Event configuration. There’s a Condition builder there that supports the behavior you are looking for.

Here’s the documentation: SharePoint Online - Update list item (nintex.com)

But then the workflow would not start when a new item is added.

How can I run everytime an item is added and only a condition, when an item is updated?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @NiklasG 

You should be able to use this by using the condition builder to check the version of the item.  The version of a new item is 1.0 so your condition would be something like:

IF version = 1.0 

OR

IF Other conditions

There’s potentially some interesting edge cases in that involving save but not submit that you may have to handle as well (believe a saved but not submitted new item would be along the lines of 0.1 for version which you may or may not want a workflow to kick off on).

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @NiklasG 
Have you resolved your question? 

Badge +3

Hi @NiklasG 

You should be able to use this by using the condition builder to check the version of the item.  The version of a new item is 1.0 so your condition would be something like:

IF version = 1.0 

OR

IF Other conditions

There’s potentially some interesting edge cases in that involving save but not submit that you may have to handle as well (believe a saved but not submitted new item would be along the lines of 0.1 for version which you may or may not want a workflow to kick off on).

Hi @brent_read 

This is a good workaround, but there should be a built in way of achieving this.

Escpecially considering the caveats you mentioned.

I created a feature request: CNV-I-217