Solved

Finding duplicated data in a SharePoint list, combining other list data into a collection

• 22 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

In my workflow I’m using a SharePoint Query a list function. Column A of the list contains user data (let’s say employee ID number). Column B contains a certain attribute of the user (let’s say “wears glasses,” “has blonde hair,” etc.). So if a user both wears glasses AND has blonde hair, they will appear twice in the list, once for the glasses and once for the hair.

What I want to do in my workflow is find these duplicates, based on the Column A attribute, and combine the Column B attributes into a collection that I can add to another SharePoint list. For example:

Current SharePoint list being queried:

Name ID (Column A) Attribute (Column B)
John 1234 Has brown hair
Kathy 0123 Wears glasses
Tom 1111 Has blonde hair
Kathy 0123 Has brown hair

New SharePoint list created using list data above:

John 1234 Has brown hair
Kathy 0123 Wears glasses, Has brown hair
Tom  1111 Has blonde hair

Thanks for any help I can receive.

icon

Best answer by PabloL 22 January 2024, 19:32

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I think this set of actions would work:

Query a list (List 1)

Query a list (List 2, your new list, to see if an item already exists with ID / Column A that matches the List1 Column A)

Branch by condition (if/then)

If item does not exist (Number of rows = 0) then Insert (Create an item) into the list.  Example, Insert “Kathy” and “Wears glasses.”

if item exists, then update it for the Attribute. For example, (the next time Query List 1 finds Kathy, it will append “Has brown hair” to the Attribute column for Kathy.