Skip to main content

Error handling

Error handling can now be enabled for workflows. When a workflow encounters a recoverable error, the instance will pause, allowing users to investigate, remediate, and resume the instance from the point of failure. The failing action can be rerun. For more information, see the Error handling help topic.

Can someone elaborate on which actions are available for the new “Resolve instance” feature? I attempted to test this and it’s not working for assign a task to multiple users or the branch by value actions. Should it be working with these two actions?

Note: It would be helpful if a list of recoverable errors associated to which actions (for now) is listed in the help documentation. I would think the above actions would be acceptable for error handling considering, we could update the workflow and just click “resume”. 

Change error handling settings (nintex.com)

Hi Brandi,

You’ll see the list of supported actions and the types of errors here:
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Dashboard/InstanceDetails.htm#Error_Handling, under the Supported actions and connectors and error messages that will pause instances section.

The overall approach we’ve taken is: If the error can be remediated without republishing the workflow, the instance will pause. If the error requires workflow redesign or is a result of invalid/incorrect variable data, the instance will not pause.
Capabilities such as being able to manipulate variable data or skipping failing actions are being considered for subsequent phases; in order to offer some benefit as soon as possible, we focused on the above list of actions and errors.

Hi Brandi,

You’ll see the list of supported actions and the types of errors here:
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nwc/Content/Dashboard/InstanceDetails.htm#Error_Handling, under the Supported actions and connectors and error messages that will pause instances section.

The overall approach we’ve taken is: If the error can be remediated without republishing the workflow, the instance will pause. If the error requires workflow redesign or is a result of invalid/incorrect variable data, the instance will not pause.
Capabilities such as being able to manipulate variable data or skipping failing actions are being considered for subsequent phases; in order to offer some benefit as soon as possible, we focused on the above list of actions and errors.

Thanks Katie. As always, this was super helpful. 

Hi @kate !

Super excited for this feature! I know I’ve been waiting for it for a long time to fix sporadic issues with the Smartsheet connector… unfortunately, Smartsheet isn’t on the documented list of supported connectors. 

I know personally, I was really hoping this feature could apply to ALL situations where a workflow would fail, regardless of which action or connector failed. 

Will additional existing connectors (like Smartsheet) be added in the future?

Thank you!

@kate  I actually just tested this with a Smartsheet connector action, and it worked! So, I take it that help document isn’t an exhaustive list of supported connectors/actions?

Thanks!

Hi @bsikes,

Thanks for calling out this discrepancy in the help docs.

I agree with you, that this feature should have been applied to all connectors equally; and for the most part this is the case (despite what our Help docs say). Error handling is supported by majority of our connectors, with a few exceptions (Azure Active Directory, Azure Active Directory Administration, and Dropbox Business) which will be remedied within the next 2-3 weeks.

I’ll ensure the Help docs are updated asap, but rest assured the Smartsheet connector is indeed a supported connector. 

Regards,

Kate Huynh