Skip to main content
Solved

Copy or move a file action

• 17 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m a little confused with this action. I supposed it due to how I interpreted how it should function initially. SharePoint Online - Copy or move a file (nintex.com)

Can we not move a file to another folder within the same library?

It doesn’t appear there is a true “move” functionality using this action. The reality is, it just copies files, and allows users to have the ability to put the copies anywhere and delete the original. The ability to “move” a file is misleading. Moving the file would imply we can preserve the system ID and all other information/details (metadata) and just simply move it anywhere else in the library, like into another folder etc.

Hi @brandiwoodson,

The SharePoint online copy or move a file action does just that.  It copies or moves the file. It does not copy the metadata like the copy list item action.

You can add the suggestion here if you'd like to see this functionality in Nintex Automation Cloud.

Can you please demo how to use the move only function on this action to a subfolder in the same library without disrupting the ID which as a result would be copying, not moving, if it has to make a copy of this file in the subfolder and delete the original? I must be doing something wrong then if you say it will move the file.

I need to move a file from rootlevel to a subfolder. That's it. Its not possible to preserve the library system ID from what I've tested by just moving the file. It just makes a copy in the subfolder.

I need to move a file from rootlevel to a subfolder. That's it. Its not possible to preserve the library system ID from what I've tested by just moving the file. It just makes a copy in the subfolder.

Correct.

Correct.

Ok thanks. "Move" is misleading in my opinion. Moving a file to another folder isn't possibly so this ahould just be called copy a fileor copy and store a file but not the term move. Just my two cents. 

Thanks for the assistance as always! You're the best!