Solved

Checking on a SharePoint list

• 17 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello, 

I am currenty creating a workflow which is several forms assigned to several people to gather informations and create a Sharepoint Item which includes all of this info.

User A fills the first form, B the second one, C the third one and D the last one. It’s a sequential workflow and C & D can fill their forms at the same time, but not before B and B not before A.

B can see what A filled, C what B and A filled and D can see what all the others have filled.

When A has finished putting info in his form, all those infos go into a sharepoint item, which keeps getting more detailed as more users fill their respective forms.

What i’m asked to do now is, between each form being filled, check on the sharepoint, and if an info is changed on the SharePoint, reflect this change in the next form. What i did is, right before the second form is sent to the B user, i request an item in Sharepoint, extract the field at their current state, and use them to fill the part that the next person can check upon.

But is there a way to make it so that “update” is made at all time? Because once the second task form is sent, let’s say on Monday, the second user could take a couple of days to fill it, and if someone makes corrections to the SharePoint in that span of time, those changes won’t reflect on the part that the person who received the mail on Monday will see.

I know my question is a bit convoluted, but i’m asking for answers as well as opinions here

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Garrett 17 November 2023, 16:50

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @gsol 

You can use what’s called External Data which is based on a data source.

Create a new data source that points to your list with the info you need, then create a new data source variable (via external data on the form) which uses this data source,

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I’ve set up the external data in my form, but i can’t find how to use this external data to show up as read only info in my form field?

Do you know how i can manage that?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @gsol 

You can add the values into a label:

Or you can use a rule to populate fields:

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thank you for your answer, i have hone last followup question,

Some of my columns in my Sharepoint List are filled with links

And when i try to insert them through external Data, they show up as integers.

How can i “convert” those integers to their “Text” value?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@gsol those values return as IDs of items in another list, you should add another data source targeting the same list and filter it by the ID you get from the first data source:

List A contains lookup control ‘Lookup B’

Lookup B is connected to ‘List B’

Create a data source for both List A and List B, lets call them ‘DSV A’ and ‘DSV B’

Use a lookup dropdown filter List A item selection for DSV A. 

This returns values including the ID for ‘Lookup B’

Use Lookup B value to filter DSV B to return its values. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

That Sharepoint is made of 15 or 20 different lists, serving as databases. That means i have to create 20 Data sources and use your method for each of these lists?

Is there a way to create that database directly in Nintex?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@gsol At the moment, no you will need to create data sources for each list. 

As for:

Is there a way to create that database directly in Nintex?

Not yet 😉, working on it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@gsol those values return as IDs of items in another list, you should add another data source targeting the same list and filter it by the ID you get from the first data source:

List A contains lookup control ‘Lookup B’

Lookup B is connected to ‘List B’

Create a data source for both List A and List B, lets call them ‘DSV A’ and ‘DSV B’

Use a lookup dropdown filter List A item selection for DSV A. 

This returns values including the ID for ‘Lookup B’

Use Lookup B value to filter DSV B to return its values. 

I’m having trouble setting this up, could you sho me an example if it’s not too much to ask?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @gsol 

Of course I would be happy to show you how to do this, I am working on a detailed blog on how to do this for you, I will post the link here as soon as it is available for you. 

Jake