Solved

Autopopulate SharePoint columns when saving a document

• 26 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I am building a simple workflow to save a web form to a SharePoint site. The workflow runs as follows:

Start Event: Form > Get a file > Generate document > Get item from collection > Store a file > Workflow complete. 

The SharePoint document library was created with columns to match the form variables in the workflow.  When the file is stored, is there a way to auto-populate the SharePoint columns with the data entered in the web form?

icon

Best answer by Jake 26 February 2024, 12:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AdrianGaribdass01 

there are 2 approaches, you can link properties in a document to columns on a list, then using docgen fill the property with the tags you want and it will replicate as you store the file. 

the problem with this approach is it requires a bunch of admin and I think there is a specific naming convention required for sharepoint to replicate the field but it is the only “automatic” approach. 

alternatively once the item is created, use update item action with the ID of the created file and fill the values as you need them, the fields still populate just requires another action. 

Jake 

Badge +2

Jake,

Thanks for the response.  Do you have a few images of how these options would look like in a workflow?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AdrianGaribdass01 

It would just be a single additional action for your current workflow, just an update item action at the end. 

When you use the store file action in the loop output its ID to a variable:

You can then use that file ID in the same loop to update the item properties:

In this scenario I am storing case number and region to the item, see below:

Hope this helps

Jake

Badge +2

Thank you. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi @AdrianGaribdass01 

If these responses helped solve your question, please remember to mark the best answer!