Save Major version into custom column

• 5 January 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +9

I have a workflow that saves minor versions to my custom column by using Call Web Service action. This works great until I click on Publish Major Version. How do I get the major version number saved into my custom column?

We are on SP 2013.

Thanks!!

5 replies

Badge +5

Rency,

not sure why your using a Call Web Service since this property is available on the current item in a library/list. If you use the Set Variable action that sets your variable to the List Lookup/Current Item/Version property it will report the following:

Draft Version: 0.1

Published Version: 1

Perhaps you have a special condition - can you provide further details?

Gerard

Badge +9

Gerard I completely agree with you however the end user wants the version number to appear on their word template. I have a workflow that is running on a library that gets the version number and saves it in a custom column. This column is associated with the template. This way the version number is automatically populating on the template when the user saves the word document into the library. It works when the user modifies the template, the minor version is populating on the template. However if I decide to publish as a major version it doesn't appear in my template. Not sure how to get the major version to display on the template. This is why I am using Call Web Service.

Badge +5

Rency, thanks for the additional details - that helps a lot. Sounds like a neat work-around to connect with the template - cool! What type is the custom column your using to store the versions and where is it getting the data?

Badge +9

The column is a single line column.

This is how the version is being stored. Web service is configured  WebUrl/_vti_bin/Versions.asmx and the item version is stored in a multi-line variable and then I have it saving in a single line text column. This column is then associated with the word document. So it is automatically filled for the user. happy.png

The only issue is that I can't get the major version to save in this field and I am not sure how to capture that.  Any help would be appreciated happy.png

163104_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +5

Rency, one thing that occurred to me about your solution is that you have a single-line column that's storing data from a multi-line variable. That sounds problematic if the multi-line var is typed differently than the single-line column. A single-line column is good for 256 characters, but not sure how Nintex types each of their variables. I've looked for details in the help, but didn't find anything. Perhaps an email to Nintex support could clarify.

Another option would be to adjust your solution to use a single-line var with a single-line column. Just thinking out loud.

Gerard