Pulling out individual items from a variable NOT a Collection variable

• 2 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

This feels like it should be easy but I'm having trouble with this issue. So I have an email enabled document library that is feeding data to a tasks list. Basically in an email enabled list you only have the email sender and email subject as columns. So I'm doing most of my pulling from the subject line. The basic idea is to have the user list tasks and seperate by a semicolon so that eventually I can pull them and separate them. There's also at the end of this string in the subject I have a task type name then a number that I can eventually convert to a date. So essentially a subject field could would at most look like this (I'm going max 5 seperate tasks could be less)

Task 1;Task 2;Task 3;Task 4;Task 5, Task Type, 8

I can pull the Task Type and date easy enough then convert the semicolons to commas so my variable would have the below data

Task 1,Task 2,Task 3,Task 4,Task 5

Unfortunately the Regex action only lets me store this in another variable not a collection. Pulling these using POP in the Collection Operation would make this super easy. But also I feel there has to be a better way to do this. As always thanks in advance for any help. 

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
If you use a regular expression and use the Split Operation you could split using the semicolon or comma and the output would be a collection variable.
Badge +8

Thank you that worked like a charm. Now just a question of parsing out the items. Thanks so much for your help.