Multiple select List Lookup values to populate as individual rows in Repeating Section

• 21 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Nintex Forms and hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm struggling to resolve!

I'm trying to create a form where a Repeating Section will automatically populate with the multiple values that have been selected in a List Lookup. I had previously achieved this in InfoPath but due to the amount of data that the form needed to consume in order to work it began to crash.

I've been looking through these forums for the past few days, and recognise that similar questions have been asked and resolved, but ideally I need a solution which accounts for multiple selections and one where the user only needs to access the form once to submit data. (I have seen a few solutions which suggest Nintex Flow but ideally I would like to avoid this).

Has anyone come across a simliar issue before? Or would anyone know if this is remotely possible? I'm not concerned with the output of data, as this is fed through to SQL and SSRS. I'm currently using Nintex Forms for Office 365.

Thanks in advance for your help- much appreciated.

4 replies

Badge +12

@MilesRGM .....I'll try below approach.....using Nintex workflow (this is just the theory, I haven't tested yet).

• When the item gets created, you can read lookup values in column, using RegEx you can store it in collection
  • Now using collection and For each action:
    • Since it's a lookup column, I'm assuming it's one field only
    • Using Build String action, you can create XML code
  • Once For loop is complete, you can update a MLT list column (make sure it's plain text)
  • All you need to do now is connect this MLT to your repeating section

Badge +1

@kunalpatel firstly, thanks so much for your reply and trying to help!

Out of interest, just so that I understand properly... If utilising Nintex Workflow, would this mean that the user would have to submit the form and then reaccess it before being able to fill in information in the repeating section?

Thank you again!

Badge +12

@MilesRGM ....Yes, workflow gets triggered when an item is created and/or modified.

But instead of using lookup control separately....why not put it inside the repeating section? Instead of using multi-select, give them drop down option. This way users will create multiple rows for you and will select the values.

You can then connect that repeating section to MLT (plain text) list column and using workflow's query xml and using MLT column as source, you can get those values.

Badge +1

@kunalpatel sorry for the late reply and thanks for your workaround below. Will be implementing this over the coming days!