Move document created by is not originator

• 13 October 2009
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi,

I've created a simple process that moves a document in to a folder based on a condition that looks at document metadata. This process starts whenever a new document is created.

If I upload a document while logged on as myself, the created by column obviously displays me as being the author. If my process fires however and moves this document in to a subfolder, the document in the subfolder then has the "System Account" in the created by column as the author (the WSS and K2 service accounts are the same on this test system).

I'm only starting out in K2 land, so don't fully understand how it deals with impersonation and process credentials. My hope is that there is a way for the process to run with the credentials as the originator, causing the move document event to run as the originator, in turn meaning the moved document would also be created by the originator. I've looked in documentation but can't find anything that discusses this.

At this point I don't have a lot of time, so will end up writing a web service to get around this behaviour, but I am obviously keen to use a better method if one exists.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel.

1 reply

Badge +8

The workflow engine does not impersonate users when performing actions within SharePoint.  The workflow engine runs as a service account so any actions will be performed as that service account. As I understand it the current SharePoint 2007 web services that we use to perform these actions (such as move) do not allow you to provide alternate account information for the purposes of impersonation.  We are investigating whether this will change for SharePoint 2010.  If it does change we will look into providing this functionality.

Regards,

Eric