Latency in forms?

• 6 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi I'm new to the community, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. But can anyone please advise me as to what might cause latency in nintex forms? My client has provided feedback that the form is very slow to open and scrolling on the list is very difficult.

There are several lists and their related forms (each form has roughly around 40 fields) on the site which the client uses and would contain a lot of data.

Is it due to the forms that are created, or could it be from the site itself?

4 replies

Badge +3

Hi Samantha,

When you say "scrolling on the list is very difficult", I am assuming you are scrolling through a SharePoint view? If this is the case, then I would take a look at the server(s). If you create a simple form on a simple list and try to add an item to the list, is this slow? This would also point to the servers.

Nintex has just released a new version of Nintex Forms (2.3.3.0), this could help with performance improvements (related to dynamic lookups). Nintex Forms 2013 - Release Notes

Badge +1

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the reply. I tested a simpler form on the same site and the performance was fine when adding a new item.

When I checked the forms, I realised that there was only one list that has having this slow performance issue. It's used often and has several more items than the other lists. I created a list view to group by "Created by" and the performance was much better. It's not a definite solution but at least I understand now that the forms isn't the reason for latency.

My team is discussing about updating our version of Nintex Forms, so will see how that goes.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi ‌,

it's been a long time past this thread has started..have you been able to solve the issue with your customer?

If yes, could you please mark one ot the answer as correct (or post what the issue was and then mark it as correct)?

This could help other people who may have a similar issue..thanks!

Giacomo

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Latency in Nintex forms can depend on a lot of different factors, here are a few:

1) Number of controls - the more controls the slower the form will load.  

2) Types of controls - things such as calculated fields doing "lookup"  functions, or lookup controls will be  slower than simple text boxes.   If you  have lots of these controls you could see several seconds of delay before the  form loads.

3) Repeating sections - well this adds to  the first one, because each repeating section generated of course creates more controls  to load.

4)  Your computer - if you have an older system, your form performance can suffer,  due to the browser being client based meaning your computer has to render the items you  are viewing.   Javascript and all those other goodies are rendered client side on your  computer, so having a quick system with lots of RAM  and processing power will increase large form load times (assuming the  limitation does not exist within what is stated in number 2 above.)

There are lots of other reasons, such as  server lag, etc...  but that is just  the nature  of the net.