Authentication with server failed

Badge +2
I'm trying to get familiear with K2 and I am doing the walkthrough from the help documentation. I have created the project and I am at the step where I am trying to export the process to the K2 server. When I do this, I get "Authentication with server failed" in the output window at the bottom. I am using windows integrated authentication and can't figure out why I am having a problem with this. If I go into the K2 Service Manager and try to connect this server, I get the same error.

Any suggestions?

18 replies

Badge +9
Hi, what version of K2.net 2003 are you using and also what is the platform (Windows and SP if any)
Badge +2
K2.net sp1a
windows xp pro sp2

Could this be the problem?
Badge +9
Yes, Windows XP is not a supported platform for K2.net 2003 Server, however K2.net Server runs fine on XP without SP2. SP2 introduced major changes on security and this causes some issues with K2.net Server. No issues have been reported around K2.net Studio, Service Manager and Workspace. My suggestion is to install K2.net 2003 Server on Windows Server 2003. I will also suggest to hang on a bit before installing Windows Server 2003 SP1 until K2.net has been tested against it.
Badge +2
I have found a box that with Windows 2003 that I can install it on. In this case, should I install all components on that machine, or just the K2 2003 server component?

Thanks.
Badge +9
You can, however this is not required. This is typically defined by the number of developer licenses you have available. . In a typical K2.net Dev environment you will find that developers make use of a dedicated K2.net Server and all develop processes and UI on local machines. Please have a look at the Software Prerequisites for K2.net 2003 in the installation documentation to insure that you install the correct components on the required platform. The installation documentation also covers various installation scenarios.
Badge +2
Thanks for the help. Do you know if there is a timeframe to have K2 compatible with sp2 for xp. Also, are there any obstacles to developing and using studion on xp sp2? Sorry for the questions, I want to make sure I get all of the facts duing my evaluation.
Badge +9
Windows XP is not a server platform and for that reason do we not develop K2.net 2003 Server to run on XP. Please have a look at the following supporting platforms for the various K2.net components.

K2.net 2003 Server
  • Window Server 2003

• Windows 2000 Server

K2.net 2003 Studio
  • Window Server 2003

• Windows 2000 Server

• Windows XP
Badge +2
hi all..

i,m facing the same problem... the "authentication with server failed."
But it is not because of i,m using windows xp. I just installed the vs.net and k2.net in a vpc and the vpc is a windows server 2003. I've logged in as administrator already but still facing the same problem. i cant export my project and cannot even access the server properties in k2.net service manager.

Anyone know the solutions? pls help

thanks in advance.

-Lynda-
Badge +9
Are you running Win 2003 SP1? If so please visit http://kb.k2workflow.com/Articles/KB000098.aspx for more information.
Badge +2
hi.. thanks...

i've tried to follow the step.. but after i edit the registration, i cannot even access the properties.. in the instruction i am supposed to see the properties and edit the service account. Is there any other related problem that i need to fix it first?

-lynda-
Badge +9
On Edit Server Registration dialog, did you select NTLM as the security Package? Also note that you must do this in Service Manager installed on the actual machine running K2.net Server. Can you please tell me the following:

Are you running Win 2003 SP1?
Version of K2.net 2003?
What is the exact error message that you get?

Note: If you are running Win 2003 SP1 you need to run K2.net 2003 SP2.
Badge +2
Yes, after i select NTLM as the security Package in service manager edit registration.

Are you running Win 2003 SP1?
yes
windows server 2003 SP1

Version of K2.net 2003?
k2.net 2003 with SP1a (3.4250.1.0)

What is the exact error message that you get?
the error msg : authentication with server failed.
in service manager, and while exporting the projects.
I also cannot see the k2 tools in the toolbox list( in vs.net)
Badge +9
In order to run K2.net 2003 on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) you need to install K2.net 2003 SP2.

Extract from Knowledge Base article (KB000098):

Please Note: K2.net 2003 SP2 is the only version of K2.net that is compatible with Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Upgrade K2.net 2003 SP1a to K2.net 2003 SP2 and follow the instruction in KB000098, refer to the installation documentation for installation and upgrade scenarios.
Badge +2
i,ve checked already, it is already upgraded to SP2 actually, sorry for wrong info. so now it shouldnt be the main cause of the problem. So, do u think there is any other problem?
Badge +7
Hi norazlinda,

after upgrading to K2.net 2003 SP2, you will still need to follow the instructions given in the KB article Renier mentioned. Have you tried applying the steps yet?
Badge +2
hi guys..thanks a lot.. now the service manager can run properly already..
But i still cannot see the k2 smartform tools in the toolbox menu in VS.net.. does it relates to the problem or i need to configure something first?

thanks
Badge +9
Have you added a SmartForm to the ASP .NET web project? You can do this in the same way you would add a normal web form, instead of selecting a web form select K2.net SmartForm.
Badge +2
i cannot see the k2.smartform in the add new item, it is not listed. is there still got something wrong somewhere? :(