Attaching Documents dynamically to a Workflow

• 7 January 2009
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I have a requirement where the user, to whom the task is Assigned has to manually attach a document to the workflow (which was already initiated by someone else) and approve it. After this task, each document should take up a new Workflow path. Finally the both the documents should get merged (in a task) to end the workflow. Any suggestion on how to implement this.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Venkat.S

6 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,Ruben. Splitting the workflows i mean, if there are two documents in a workflow, each document should traverse a seperate path from a activity and end at a common task.

Workflow initiated with one Doc---> Attatch one doc at a user task ----->2Docs  ---> approval---> 1st Doc(One path)  and ---> 2nd Doc(Another path) --------->Both docs end at a common task

Kindly provide a solution for this. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Venkat.S

Badge +9
Are you using InfoPath, ASP or SharePoint as your front end?  Each have different capabilities when it comes to file attachments, ideally you would be able to store the attachment (or a reference to it) in somewhere accessible to your K2 process.  At then end, you would grab these references and push them into your final task.
Badge +2

Hi,

Tim,Thanks for your reply. I am using Sharepoint as my front end. In the above post you have mentioned ideally about referncing the file attachements and pushing it in final step. Could you please tell me how specifically this could be done when having sharepoint as my front end and having K2 blackpearl for my workflow creation.

Regards,

Venkat.S

Badge +9

Hmm... so you don't use InfoPath or ASP to display any information to the user?  I can see how a task would be created when a user uploads a file to a document library, but where does clicking that task take the user?

In your workflow, I know you can get references to any document in SharePoint, and you could then plug those references as URLs into your task UI - how you do this would differ whether you are using ASP or InfoPath.  I haven't really thought of a scenario where one of those two tools are not used, but fill me in on the details and I will try to help.

Badge +1

Hi,

Tim, Thanks again for your reply.

I guess i have missed out something. I am using Infopath form to get the reference URL of the document and store it in a smart object. It would be helpful if you could let me know how to retrieve this URL either from Infopath or smart object and display it on the tasks page of a sharepoint site. This should happen when the user, who has been assigned an activity in a workflow, views his tasks page and then takes neccessary action.

Regards,

Rasheed

Badge +9

Rasheed, it appears that I have missed something, and not you.  I was assuming that your users would be opening their task to see the URL to the files.  If you need to display this custom data in your task queue and have it visible before the user even opens the task, you will need to write your own task queue as the default one packed with K2 does not allow you to show custom data as a column.

Am I understanding the problem correctly now?  You have your data stored correctly, but just want to display it directly in the task queue?