Appit install on an on premise SharePoint 2013 Enterprise with no public internet access

• 28 July 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi All, this is my first time posting to this K2 community and I am hopping I can get some directions here.

We are trying to figure out requirnments around installing Appit on an on premise SharePoint 2013 Enterprise with no public internet access and we are being told that we need to allow public internet access to our SharePoint farm before appit can be install/used.

Here are the details of our setup:

• on premise SharePoint 2013 Enterprise with no public internet access
  • Point to Point VPN tunnel to Azure

Questions:

• Why do we have to expose SharePoint to the internet?
  • Why won't P2P VPN to K2 Appit Azure work?
  • If exposing SP to the internet the only option, will allowing front end web servers internet access be enough? Or do we have to extend the webapp so it can be accessable from the internet?
  • Do I only need to make sure my SP web servers can get to the internet sites (i.e. microsoft.com; k2.com etc.) 

Please advice

MA

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi Murad

Answers in line

Questions:

• Why do we have to expose SharePoint to the internet?
    • The Appit instance is in the cloud and the Appit instance needs to be able to communicate with  SP to execute for example CSOM.
  • Why won't P2P VPN to K2 Appit Azure work?
    • Not sure about this, best is to ask your sales rep
  • If exposing SP to the internet the only option, will allowing front end web servers internet access be enough? Or do we have to extend the webapp so it can be accessible from the internet?
    • The site collection you want to use with Appit should be accessible.
  • Do I only need to make sure my SP web servers can get to the internet sites (i.e. microsoft.com; k2.com etc.) 
    • Nope the site collection you want to use should be accessible from the public over SSL

The following docs will also be helpful to you

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2Appit/UserGuide/current/default.htm#Preparing_a_SharePoint_On-Premises_environment_for_Appit.htm

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2Appit/UserGuide/current/default.htm#Adding_Appit.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdding%2520Appit%2520to%2520your%2520SharePoint%2520Environment%7C_____0

HTH

Vernon