Everyone group disappeared from unique permission created by Nintex workflow

• 6 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

Hi all,

I have created a Nintex workflow based out of SharePoint 2016 on premise calendar such that when someone books an event, the Nintex workflow will break the inheritance and assign "Everyone" to "View only" permission, the initiator to be granted with "Contribute" rights using the Set Item permissions action step. This is to allow everyone to view that the slot is taken up to prevent double booking. 

I realised that "Everyone" was originally granted read at the site, however the administrator wanted to restrict access to the site and thus I have removed the "Everyone" from the site permission. This somehow caused the "Everyone" to be removed from the calendar records which rightfully should have unique permissions already set in place by the Nintex workflow. I am still puzzled why removing the "Everyone" group from the parent site will have removed them from the individual permission set at the calendar entries? I also realised that this is not only happening to "everyone" group but another Sharepoint group that was also removed from the individual permission set at the calendar entries.

Wonder any solution to allow me to remove "Everyone" without impacting the "Everyone" which Nintex workflow has set via the workflow?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi there,

It is not recommended to use item level permissions at all in lists or libraries as issues like these and other admin issues can and regularly do occur.

Instead it would be much easier to set the entire permission for the calendar to be uneditable other than site admins or the workflow elevated account (you can use action sets to elevate actions in the workflow to perform steps not at the user but instead a service account)

Then you would have users enter records into another list or via a request form to allow editing, this way the workflow will see the request, create the record in the calendar which it has permissions to do so and the end user doesn't, It then no longer needs to modify the item level permissions of the calendar entry.

Kind regards

Jake