Image collection and generate document

• 31 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi there,

I trying to generate a document with a uncertain number of image stored in a collection, I tried using a repeating data (row, section and table) but the only I get is the info of the image (connection id, patch, etc ...).

21664iE3644033E70078E7.png

there is any way to display those images stored in the collection as actual images, the images option only let me add one image and I need to add the number of images uploaded in a form.

8 replies

Hey @cristopxer 

Unfortunately, our Document Generation action in Nintex Workflow Cloud doesn't allow you to have a dynamic number of images without some forward planning, and a relatively large document admin component associated with it. My workaround might not be a good fit for your use case, but I'll present how I've approached this previously. Please let me know your thoughts on this, but I highly recommend you post your request in Nintex Uservoice and let me know when you do so I can vote for it.

1. Define an upper limit for images that can be attached to the Nintex Form and make this the defined Maximum files under Upload allowance in the form. By default this is 10, and keep in mind Document Generation has a limit of 50 images per action run.

2. Use a Loop for each action within the workflow to run through the collection of images and store each image to a unique file variable, and also use the Calculate a value action to increase a user-defined integer variable within the workflow.

3. Provide a unique document template within the Generate document action. Each unique document template will have a placeholder image that's associated with the unique file variable for each of the images in the collection. For each of these unique document templates, you need to add a condition to each page which is assessing the value of the user-defined integer variable so that they are only included to match the number of images you have in each instance run. As an example, if you have three images in an instance, the Generate document action will only include three of your unique pages, with each of those pages having a unique image tag to include those images into the output.

One thing to keep in mind with this approach is the Generate documents action has a limit of 50 templates when the output is a Single PDF file. And when outputting to separate PDFs or originals, the upper limit is 5. You can likely tell it's also a fair amount of initial admin, and potential maintenance if the process changes. However, it will still get to your desired outcome in the absence of a repeating data capability for images.

Let me know how you go, and if you had any curiosities about this approach.

Marcus

Hey @cristopxer 

I'm just checking in to see if my suggestion helped. If a video how-to would be useful for this, let me know! 🙂

Marcus

Badge +1

Hi guys,

I assigned an individual image to a file variable and It worked, I still thinking for future releases to have a collection an use a repeating section to display the images would be an excellent approach thinking about flexibility.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Marcus, do you mind to share a how to video for this process?
Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi!
Remember, you can request a How To video from the content team here: https://community.nintex.com/t5/Request-Content/idb-p/HowToIdeaExchange

@Nintex_Sam 

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi!
Remember, you can request a How To video from the content team here: https://community.nintex.com/t5/Request-Content/idb-p/HowToIdeaExchange

@Nintex_Sam 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@cristopxer @rabiatulhamizah @marcusplatt - 

I've added this to the Content Engine's work queue. We don't have an estimated release time at the moment, but it will be created.

Regards, 

-Sam

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @rabiatulhamizah 

We have put together a video which shows you one way of achieving this solution.

https://vimeo.com/758967268