How To: Migrate SharePoint Site Collections Using Templates
ObjectiveFor customers in a scenario where they must migrate solutions using site templates, this will provide step-by-step instructions on how to do so without causing any behind-the-scenes configuration issues.
Before You Begin
This is NOT the recommended approach to migrating site collections. Using site templates off of site collections that are already integrated with K2 can be problematic if the K2 for SharePoint app is not completely removed from the source site beforehand, as the template will carry over all of K2's hidden configuration lists. Unless you are absolutely required by business constraints to migrate the site collection in this manner, please refrain from doing so.
The recommended approach is to instead build the target site collection from scratch, add the K2 for SharePoint app there, and then recreate all K2 lists/libraries using list and library templates. Once you have recreated all lists and libraries from their templates, you can deploy packages of each solution over to the target using the K2 Package and Deployment tool.
1. First, take a full backup of the K2 database. You will also need to create backup packages of all list/library solutions in the source site collection using the K2 Package & Deployment tool.
2. Once the database and all SharePoint-integrated applications are backed up, you will need to fully remove the K2 for SharePoint app from this site collection. For more information on how to do this, please see the following documentation: https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2five/userguide/5.2/default.htm#K2-for-SharePoint/RemoveartifactsintegrationSP.htm?
3. Once the K2 for SharePoint app has been fully removed, you can go ahead and take the site template (the following article outlines how to create and use site templates: https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-create-sites-and-site-collections-from-a-sharepoint-site-template/)
4. After recreating the source site collection using the site template from Step 3, re-add the K2 for SharePoint app by following the outlined steps here: https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2five/userguide/5.2/default.htm#K2-for-SharePoint/Add-Steps.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdminister%7CK2%2520for%2520SharePoint%7CAdding%2520the%2520App%7C_____0
5. Once the app has been re-added, you may now begin deploying all packages taken in Step 1 onto the source site collection.